- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
The Route 168 Chesapeake Expressway is a fast and convenient 16 mile long, four-lane divided highway linking Interstate 64 in Chesapeake to North Carolina and the Outer Banks.
The Chesapeake Expressway incorporates an electronic toll collection system with open-road technology. Vehicles equipped with an E-ZPass transponder can stay in the left lane and pass through the "express lanes" at the toll facility without stopping.
See the Expressway Maps and Driving Directions for more information.
- E-ZPass On-The-Go transponders are now available for purchase from the City Treasurer's offices at City Hall, Western Branch, Deep Creek and South Norfolk. On-The-Go units are pre-loaded with $35 in prepaid tolls, with $15 available for immediate use and the remaining $20 available once the unit is registered online. For more information visit www.EZPassVA.com or call 877-762-7824. Please note: You must contact the Chesapeake Expressway directly at 757-204-0010 to enroll in the Chesapeake Expressway Discount Program.
Chesapeake Expressway Discount Program
Frequent Chesapeake Expressway travelers can save money on tolls by signing up for the Discount Program. All you need is a Virginia E-ZPass transponder! Learn more and join today!
- E-ZPass On-The-Go transponders are now available for sale at all City Treasurer's offices. On-The-Go units are pre-loaded with $35 in prepaid tolls, with $15 available for immediate use and the remaining $20 available once the unit is registered online. For more information, contact the City Treasurer's office at 382-6764 or visit www.EZPassVA.com.
- Get your E-ZPass transponder at the Chesapeake DMV in Greenbrier (you will still need to sign up for the Chesapeake Expressway Discount Program by calling or visiting the Chesapeake Expressway office.)
- Please note: You must contact the Chesapeake Expressway directly at 757-204-0010 to enroll in the Chesapeake Expressway Discount Program. The Discount Program is only available with Virginia E-ZPass.
How much are the tolls?
|Chesapeake Expressway Toll Structure|
|Effective as of May 1, 2011|
|Regular Tolls||Peak Weekends
(Sat & Sun)
|Axles||Cash Rate||E-ZPass Rate||Discount Rate||Cash Rate||E-ZPass Rate||Discount Rate|
|3 or More||$4.00||$4.00||$2.00||$7.00||$7.00||$2.00|
- “Peak Weekend” is defined as the period beginning 12:01 a.m. on Saturday through 12:00 midnight Sunday beginning the weekend before Memorial Day weekend to the weekend after Labor Day weekend. For 2015, Peak Weekends will run each weekend from May 16 to September 13.
- The membership fees for the Chesapeake Expressway Discount Program shall remain the same. All members will be notified of the change in toll fares and resulting discount.
- E-ZPass transponders are available at the Expressway Office located at 168 Toll Plaza Road. Office hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekdays. Call 757-204-0010 for more information.
Attention Motorcycle Users:
E-ZPass is not guaranteed to work on motorcycles. If you ride a motorcycle on the Chesapeake Expressway, CASH tolls are $1.00. The Electronic Toll Collection System does not differentiate between motorcycles and cars. Therefore, if you have an E-ZPass registered to a motorcycle you will be charged the $3.00 Regular Toll and $6.00 for the Peak Weekends.
The Chesapeake Transportation System (CTS) consists of the Chesapeake Expressway and what will be the improved Dominion Boulevard. An overview presentation of the CTS Senior Toll Road Revenue Bonds, Series 2012 is available at the link below. These bonds, totaling approximately $155.7 million, are anticipated to be sold on October 24, 2012. These bonds will be used to finance the Dominion Boulevard project construction including the replacement of the Steel Bridge. They will also be used to refund the outstanding 1999 bonds from the Chesapeake Expressway and to fund reserves and other costs for the bonds.